snow

Thursday, January 8, 2009

Of runaway husbands,desolate squirrels and British accents

In order to forget that that tall looming figure I had got used to
seeing lurking
around the house,who turned out to be
reassuring when I had doubts abt my creations or
the better
of my crazy ideas and more so put up with me,ragged me,
teased me and drove
me up the wall at times has really finally
left me.He has finally run away from me and
fled the country...
swearing never to step foot on this land again..
Ok.So thats an
exaggeration.He has gone back to India cos
his visa expired and I will be joining him
....well..hopefully
sometime soon...which is God knows when...which is ..sigh...
I dont
know what...However,he will be waiting for me in India
like Romeo waited for
Juliet...um...actually I dont think he will
be hanging around like Romeo
did...Really..I mean Romeo
honestly was quite jobless if u think abt it except to sing

ballads and serenade and kind of swagger around below
Juliet's balconey beating his
chest.Really...What woman
wants a man who wanders abt beating his
chest????....
Really..am sure Juliet wud have rather had him do
something worthwhile
even as he loved her...u know what
I mean?But then am digressing from the topic and
maybe
making Shakey spin in his grave..So lets leave that and
come back to my life.
(Yeah..I know..But this happens to be
my blog and if I want to write abt my life I
very much shall
including the minutest details of how I ...err...scratch my
back..and
if u dont want to read it...well..trust me,u dont
know what u will be missing.Poor
u)...

Anyway coming back to sending DH off,well,I managed
not to make an idiot of
myself;read I did not cry before
or after his going,smiled rather bravely and sounded

quite normal...Now all I have to do is put up with another
day of every single soul
asking me "Anup left?" when
they very well know he did,that he wud not have missed an

international flight to stay with me,that even if he wud have
he cudnt cos his visa
had expired.But since all those
souls mean it kindly and really are showing their

concern for my sudden single status,it wud be mean of me
to snap at them and say
"Nah,he is sitting right behind u".
Dontcha think?

Its really not as bad as I thot it wud be.Well..as long as
I dont dwell on it..Its
just the first 4 days..U know.All I have
to do is to keep it all in,not think and keep
distracting my thots
which honestly is quite irritating..I mean its like u are talking

to urself abt something and then u interrupt urself...if that made
any sense.I havent been
able to do any crafting cos ..well..cos
my heart is just not in it..and u really cant
put ur focus into ur
fingers if ,u know,u are subconsciously waiting for someone to

walk in the door.I keep finding myself thinking he will walk in
any minute and that I
havent got dinner heated up...So I read
a book...and I was fine except that when I put
down the book,
I was back to figuring out some new dinner recipe with the
ingredients on hand
,quite forgetting that my guinea pig is
no longer here..and really,its no fun cooking
new stuff if u
dont have anyone to eat it up ..other than ur self...Well,I'll admit

it,shall I? Am walking around like a desolate squirrel that lost
its winter store of
nuts...

Today morning I happened to be standing on the road gabbing
away with a friend in
Tamil when an old gentleman passed us,
stopped,turned round and asked me "What language

are u speaking?".I replied without thinking "Thamizh"...
He said "What?"..and I
provided the anglicized version."Tamil".
A wrinkled brow prompted me to try "T-A-M-I-
L.Its an Indian
language".And then he got it."Taumil?".and asked "But its not
the only
language in India,is it?" And I replied negative.
"How many languages do u have in
India?"came the next
question.Honestly,dude,I wudnt know the answer in normal

circumstances but to ask me,a desolate squirrel at that,is
next to trying to make
ice cream in an oven at 425 degrees.
Hopeless.The man must have sensed something of my

feelings cos he asked "South Africa has 294 languages.
Do u have that many?".He really
was a nice old man and
so I again replied negative.And then he continued "But you

Indians speak such beautiful British English,not like ours...
U have such a beautiful
British accent."and finished with
an eloquent gesture.
At this point all readers are asked
to picture a squirrel gaping at an old man and
saying "I do?"
And the old man tells the squirrel "Yes,u do have a beautiful
british accent."
Now the squirrel says"Well,I didnt realise
that I had a British accent" and considers
telling the old
man that it maybe cos India was once under the British Rule
and that
must be where the accent came from but then even
a desolate squirrel with lost nuts
must have some remnant
of brain function left,cos I didnt say anything.Mostly cos I

really cudnt think up a plausible explanation as to why I had
a British accent even
though the British left before my mom
was born...Really...Unless I came up with
something quite
creative like the lil guy in Slumdog Millionaire did..
That Shah Jahan built Taj Mahal
in the memory of his wife
Mumtaz who died in a car accident.

3 comments:

Revs said...

anuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!
awwwwwwwwwwww!! :)
Nice post. i can see that ur sense of humor is still very much alive so my fears that u might commit suicide in anup ki yaad are unfounded!! :P:P
cheer up!!

P.S: if not romeo juliet u must try out if u guys are liek laila and majnoo. go to kitchen cut your hand with a knife, call anup and ask if he is bleeding!! that and only THAT my dear girl will prove ur love for DH!! :P

P.P.S: errrr. kidding of course!!! :P

Unknown said...

AWW... Cheer up girl! Things are only as bad as you make them out to be. But its good to know the desolate squirrel hasn't lost her sense of humor!

Jass said...

aww you are missing the hubby!

LOL @ "Am walking around like a desolate squirrel that lost
its winter store of nuts.."

Indians have a British accent??! I do? Nah! I love the British accent and saying i have the British accent would be an insult to the cockney accent :)