snow

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Quaker Ver.5.4

He he he…L.A. just had an earthquake measuring 5.6 on the Richter scale.We were at office abt 40 miles away from the epicenter.It was exciting though am not sure I want anything bigger and like tons of folks who are tapping away at the keyboard abt it ,am another jobless nut who is busy tapping away.In fact nothing happened except that we all got a bit rattled.It felt like a giant was shaking the entire building and all folks inside along with it. At home a friend reported that her flower vase came crashing down .One more reason why u shudnt keep flower vases around apart from the fact that they collect dust like crazy…All in all I can say that the earthquake only served to add one more thing to the list of worries my parents already have..(Anyone got any ideas on how to keep them from receiving any kinda news abt earthquakes in L.A.?)My lil bro has just started his career and there are a bunch of madcaps out there in India wandering about and for the lack of having anything better to do,started blowing up places. Needless to say,I have been worried for both my parents and my bro.And I was seriously thinking of bringing them to the states to keep them safe…and then God sends me an earthquake. Another reminder of him being the Almighty, and above mundane things like earthquakes and explosive toting lunatics. What was I thinking of?

At office, everyone stood up and grinned goofily at each other. (and I thought I was the only nutcase around.) A bunch of females provided the drama needed with a lot of squealing. Our fire warden wandered about telling people to get under their table if something falls from the ceiling. Call me dumb but I fail to see the point of getting under the table after u get conked on the head.Isnt it better to get underneath the table before it happens?Chuckle.But again that’s my not-so-humble opinion. And no, we did not all scamper outside as we are supposed to do. And don’t ask me why. It seemed safer to get under our desks…Besides it lasted for something like 3 secs.

All fone lines were down including the mobile fones.And then a bunch of gloomy pessimists started on abt how earthquakes are gonna be the trend (trend?like oversized glasses are the trend?)and how L.A is doomed. I tried to read up a bit on LA earthquakes and when the next one is predicted and I had to stop cos some of the things I read were really hilarious. One person suggested that when an earthquake is imminent, the water in wells will rise. What do they suggest? That we sit on the edge of a well with our laptops? Please!!!Another lady complained that she had been feeling constant tremors in her high rise apartment and that they were annoying….How inconsiderate of the quake….
I guess towards the epicenter ,it was a bit more stronger with things falling off but we had things falling off here too..But there has been no casualties so far…So please, don’t quake with fear…and like my macho hubby put it "hehe..I have seen bigger ones...and quite a few of em. "...huh...u didnt think a tiny quake cud scare him,did ya?Sigh!My hero.( Author smiling fondly and fluttering her lashes)

3 comments:

Revs said...

Earthquake??? Jeeez anu!! i told u not to take up jogging early in the morning!!Now look what u have done!! :P
Kidding!!
Take care man!! :)
//A bunch of females provided the drama needed with a lot of squealing

Heh heh!! i so know this type!! :)

Unknown said...

Nice to know things weren't too bad for you, though you seem you could use some excitement. Kidding! You're right, God is so above mundane things like earthquakes and gun toting lunatics. Maybe he wanted to remind you that your family is much safer and happier back in India!

Preeti said...

nice narration :). I can actually feel the quake.