snow

Monday, August 25, 2008

A verbose account of my aches and groans.

I don’t know if the nature of my job is a bane or a blessing. Last week I worked like crazy to finish what was a mountain of work only to find that someone else had been working hard to build the mountain back up..Huh!!!And come this week, I have been sitting around for the past hour and a half and no one wants any work done. Can u imagine the frustration? They never let me get used to working too hard and they never let me get used to sitting simply…I bet by tomorrow they wud have assembled the mountain again.
Anyway with all the work I had to do last week, I was real glad that the weekend came and all the work scheduled for the weekend had been mercifully cancelled.Sigh!!!So finally I had a whole weekend free to do anything. But then on Friday night ,having finished the last piece of work I had on hand, I stretched my slightly stiff neck and……ended up with a sprain.Yes,I managed to sprain my neck very badly and it hurt like crazy. Anyway I sat down and waited for the hubby to be back from his boy’s night out. And then once the man was back I went of to sleep hoping that the sprain wud go away by morning. Little did I know the aches and groans awaiting me.

Come morning I had a real stiff neck and the only way to ease the pain was to sit with my back and head leaning against a wall. The hubby rubbed the poor neck with some pain balm and that eased it up a bit…By Saturday night the pain had become bearable and I hoped to have a nice enjoyable Sunday. That was before I woke up with a migraine.Yeah!!!A classic case of a full blown migraine which made me wish I cud conk myself on the head and become unconscious. The entire morning and the better part of the afternoon was spent on the couch trying not to move. If I stayed still for 20 min then the pain wud slow down to an occasional twinge. The moment I shifted a bit or focused on something, it wud start pounding with a vengeance.Sigh!!!I cud not shift my eyes from one object to another suddenly. I had to do a kind of slow wandering act with my eyes and sort of let my vision move slowly from one object to another. The trouble with this is that I kept forgetting to do it.
My prospects of the nice relaxing weekend were flushed far down the drain. And all I wanted was to get rid of the damn migraine which when it hit invariably stuck to me like a leech for 2-3 days.U cannot imagine how frustrating it is to fall asleep with a migraine and wake up and the first thing u are aware of is a sickening pounding in ur head.U wish u had never opened ur eyes. So I popped in a tablet and waited for a couple of hrs.No good.So I popped another one.That did the trick. The migraine slowed down to a throb but it still throbbed. The last thing I wanted was to go to office on a Monday morning with a migraine.Wud send me over the edge. So in went another 2 tabs, not in quick succession though. But I had enuf of the pain and the nausea. How long can u sit in a place without doing a thing? So I pulled out my beads and then did a bit of crochet. By then my ache had disappeared except for an occasional twinge. I still cud not bend down cos that wud make my head start pounding again.Sigh.!!!Anyway to keep my mind off the ruined weekend I baked a cake.Yeah!!I know. I must have been bonkers but the cake did come out well and the hubby loves cakes. He was miserable cos I was miserable and cud not talk much.I simply lay around like an old hag blinking slowly at him. Quite depressing I shud imagine.
So that was the weekend. No household chores done, no outings,nothing.One miserable woman and her helpless hubby. I guess it was the effect of working too hard for the last 2 weeks. Anyway ,here I am at office on Monday morning,tired,with no work pending for a change and enjoying it, and as much as I want to talk to people I really cant cos if I say more than two sentences, there is a pounding which starts up in my head. And if am not careful its gonna become a full blown migraine.
To be honest, this is is a rather depressing post but honestly what more can u expect with an aching neck and a throbbing head?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Welcome to the most painful and inconvenient world of migraines. I know exactly how you feel, coz I deal with these on a regular basis. Best thing to do is apply an ice-pack and lie down as comfortably as possible. Hope you feel better!