snow

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Out from my head. On the blog.

Its tuf when u want the best of all worlds…and especially when ur job is not as challenging or as rewarding as u wud like it to be, u can either moan abt it or u can start working on the list of things-to-do-someday….and that’s what I did. All of a sudden, I found that my job did not give me the returns I expected for what I invested. Blame it on the management or on the client but the bottom line was that “this is how things worked” on this team.Ok…lets not go into all that. It just digs up a lot of bitterness and I prefer not to have the extra luggage. and so I decided to take a look at my to-do-someday list.…I don’t hate my job or anything but I decided that I need to get back in touch with my creative side. It helped that I have a hubby who absolutely loves it when I do something artsy.I got out my paints and painted a picture. I started spending more time on decorating our house and writing .I started reading more and I made a new friend whom I mailed every day.I took out my camera and got a few lovely snaps. I started my newest hobby of jewellery making. Now the problem with having so many hobbies is that u cannot be up todate on all ur projects. My second painting has been awaiting the final touches for over 2 months and my jewellery making skills have improved. My writing has been suffering while my reading has been going on at a stop-start-stop pace. And I have forgotten my photography techniques.….and to top it all, I want it all….chuckle…I never learnt to slow down and decide on one thing…I always want it all and I always want it now….so here is the plan. I want to write at least 3-4 times a week, mail my friend as much as possible, make at least 1 pair of earrings every day, paint on the weekends, read as much as I can and still be able to keep my house looking neat and tidy, ring up my dad more often, ring up my relatives and friends once a month atleast.Wow!!!Wudnt I be perfect? The trouble is even when am not able to do all this,I still believe that its possible to do it all…I managed to tidy our clothes cupboard finally last Friday and it still looks neat and tidy. The trouble with the 2 of us working is that the laundry never gets folded. We did the laundry on weekends but the Laundry room wud be so crowded that it took a lot of juggling to get our clothes washed and dried.So we switched to doing the laundry on the weekdays when the laundry room wud be empty. The trouble with this arrangement was that by the time the clothes were dry, it wud be late in the night and we wud leave the clothes jumbled up on the couch. The next day when we wanted to sit on the couch,they wud be moved in the same jumbled form onto the bed and at night back to the couch. This wud go on for a couple of days until finally I wud give up on my good intentions of tidying the clothes cupboard and stuff the jumble into the already messy cupboard. So even when I did tidy up the house,scrubbed the bathroom and the kitchen, my cupboard wud always keep niggling at the back of my mind. Finally, it came to a point where when we needed something from the cupboard, we wud pull it all out, pick out our thing and pile it all back in. Its tuf to find something in that jumble even when u have it all out on the bed and the floor. On Friday, when I had to do some office work from home which basically required me to click a button once every half an hour and monitor, I set up the laptop where I cud see it and started on my cupboard. It took me a good 2-3 hrs.But by the time I finished my office work which involved clicking the mouse 10 times and staring at the screen, I had a neat and tidy cupboard. I felt real good. Finally I had a clean house and a tidy cupboard.U may think what’s the big deal abt having a neat and tidy cupboard. I’ll tell u.I read it somewhere that even if u have a tidy house but a messy cupboard which is hidden from the world, it indicates that u have certain hidden emotional issues. Now to all of u out there who are thinking guiltily abt ur own untidy cupboards and wondering if u had any hidden emotional issues ,let me tell u.I don’t believe that u have an untidy closet cos u have emotional issues. I bet the guy who figured that one had never ever tidied his cupboard and was just taking a jab at his poor wife cos he was not able to find his underwear in their messy closet. There is something abt having to tidy a clothes cupboard that turns a good woman into an ostrich that buries its head in the sand. We cringe at the thought of our cupboards, promise ourselves to tidy it up every other day and never get round to doing it.Atleast that was my case, until I finally did it.I pulled out just one shelf of clothes,sorted,folded and arranged them on the bed and the bare shelf looked so neat that I started on the next one.By then I knew I wud get it done.And viola!I did it.It also helped that this was done on a weekday cos it left my weekend guilt free.I did all the cleaning and tidying around the house on the during the weekdays last week and to my amazement ,found that it was easier than trying to do it on the weekend. On weekends, just the thought of tidying up was enuf to keep me in bed. Of course, am tired when I come home from work, but when I do tidy up and the house looks nice, it relaxes me much more than anything else. And the weekend turned out to be much more fun cos I did not have a huge pile of things to do. The cupboard was the only thing which was a pain in the …um…double cheeked rear region. And I did it while I was finishing my office task and on a weekday. Isn’t that nice? After all those weekends where I kept putting it off, I finally did it on a weekday.

Most of us who work outside home feel too tired to tidy up but I must say that that the sooner we get up and do it, the easier it is. The guilt alone is enuf to make us feel worse. And when u stand up and look around,you can literally feel urself relax. There is something abt a neat house which brings home a sense of being a successful woman.
Now after all that rambling…. I’ll come back to my plan of action so that I get it all and get it all done.I shall write one page post everyday. Just one page. Come on.How tuf can that be? If I can’t write a page a day then what’s the whole point of writing? And if nothing else, its good practice. And then painting is going to be done only on the weekends. Now the reason for this is, I need daylight. So weekends are the best. And I shall try to make at least one pair of earrings a day. Now while this sounds like its gonna be the simplest of all the projects, it really is not.Cos I have to cook dinner, tidy up the house, then finish the earrings….That’s a bit tuf,u see. But I wud hate to put it off for the weekends.Cos then it wud become more of a chore. So I like to do it on the weekdays. And then I decided I shall read in bed. Just before I pop off to sleep. Those 5 -10 min of reading shud do the trick…so there I have it all planned out. Now its just abt working it out.Somedays it just may not work. Like today. I have so much office work which am finishing simultaneously while I am writing this. But atleast I wud have tried. Like today. I was only planning to write a page to keep my resolution. But here I seem to have happily rambled on for 2 whole pages. Isn’t that great? Just shows, where there is a will, there is a way.

No comments: